If you have latex or water-based paint dispose of it in the following manner: (CAUTION – Liquids other than latex or water-based paint should be disposed of during Household Hazardous Waste Day.)
Cans 1/4 or less full
- Simply remove the lid and place can in a safe, well-ventilated area.
- Cans 1/4 or less will dry in a few days and is ready for disposal.
Cans more than 1/4 full
- Add a paint solidifier, mulch, kitty litter, shredded paper, Quickrete, or any other material that will dry the paint up.
- Stir and mix thoroughly.
- Set aside for 30 minutes. At the end of that time, paint will have a tacky, oatmeal-like consistency, but will not spill out.
- You can now dispose of the paint as you would any bulk rubbish (junk).
- After mixing the paint with one of the materials listed above City of Sevierville residents should leave the top off the can and set it at curbside along with other items to be collected during bulk rubbish (junk) collection. Leaving the top off will let city employees know that the paint has been solidified and is ready for pickup. DO NOT PUT IN GARBAGE CAN.