The Citizen Police Academy provides the opportunity for citizens to learn basic police skills in a safe, organized and structured environment. Curriculum for the program consists of 30 hours of classroom, practical and field training. Areas addressed include: Patrol Methods, Vehicle Stop and Approach, Physical Defense Techniques, Traffic Accident Investigation, D.U.I. Interdiction, Crisis Intervention, and Introduction to Police Firearms.
Applicants for the Citizen Police Academy must:
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Have no criminal history other than minor traffic violations;
- Be physically able to meet training requirements;
- Attend all scheduled Citizen Police Academy classes;
- Ride-along with an officer during an 8-hour patrol shift; and
- Sign all required waivers and agreements.