Solid Waste Equipment Operator I - Full-time $19.59 hourly
OPENING DATE: 3/09/2023 CLOSING DATE: Position open until filled.
The essential function of the position within the organization is to operate and maintain equipment, machinery, and vehicles for the assigned area. The position is responsible for assigned tasks and equipment. The position works under general supervision according to some procedures; decides how and when to complete tasks.
This position’s primary duties are:
• Operates a variety of heavy equipment, such as front-end loaders, swap loaders, automated side-loaders, knuckleboom trucks, and other vehicles in the performance of assigned duties; ensures adherence to safe driving practices and procedures.
• Picks up garbage on a route for residential and/or business customers; hauls debris such as bushes, rubbish, or grass to the designated drop site.
• Utilizes implements and equipment such as leaf machines or brush trucks to keep City streets free from yard waste, leaves, rubbish, etc.
• Uses a variety of hand tools such as a shovel, pitchfork, rake, and other small tools.
• Cleans maintains, and inspects assigned vehicles; performs servicing activities on the assigned vehicle including greasing; checking and refilling gasoline, oil, and water; checks brake systems; reports unsafe working conditions, accidents, and injuries to supervisory and/or management staff.
• Performs special or non-routine refuse collection service and assignments as needed including, but not limited to building and/or repairing garbage containers.
• Responds to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provides information within the area of assignment including explaining collection procedures; issues notices to customers reflecting sanitation violations; resolves complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
• Establishes positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies and associations, City management and staff, and the public.
• Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
• Completes work orders and other required documentation.
• Performs special tasks as directed.
This position requires a high school diploma, GED or specialized vocational training, and a Class B TN Commercial Driver’s License. Six (6) months of related experience is preferred. This position requires medium to heavy work involving standing or walking most of the time, stooping, lifting, digging, pushing, raising objects exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force on an occasional basis.
The City of Sevierville is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex or handicap in its programs or activities pursuant to Public Law 93-112 or 101-336. The City of Sevierville does not discriminate based on race, color, or national origin in federal or state-sponsored programs, pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. 2000d.) The City is a Drug-Free Workplace, and all applicants are subject to a background check, driving history check, and drug testing in accordance with City policy.
NOTE: Only applicants who provide a valid e-mail address will be notified when the position has been filled.