The City of Sevierville Department of Parks and Recreation, in partnership with PROJECT SEVIER, is pleased to announce that the Mt. Ton of Fun Playground at City Park will be rebuilt this winter. The project is scheduled to begin in early January 2017.
To facilitate safe and efficient work, the playground will close beginning Tuesday, January 3, 2017 and remain closed until the project is complete.
Update on Sevierville’s New Mt Ton of Fun Inclusive Playground
- Sevierville’s New Inclusive Playground was a dream and vision of a Leadership Tomorrow class over four years ago. The group was led by local resident Lisa Bremer and Lisa has remained committed to making their dream a reality.
- The City agreed to partner with PROJECT SEVIER, Inc over two years ago in order to give them time to establish a fund raising effort. In the meantime the City committed $100,000 dollars towards this effort as well as time and labor by staff for installation.
- Vulcan Materials in late 2016 agreed to a significant monetary cash donation as well as a Matching Campaign for Fundraising. Project Sevier will be announcing those details in the very near future. Project Sevier remains very active in fundraising for the project and will be announcing the details of their fund raising efforts very soon to take advantage of Vulcan Materials Challenge Partnership
- Charles Blalocks and Sons agreed to partner with Vulcan Materials and the City of Sevierville in preparation of the site for the new playground by providing materials and equipment.
- Charles Blalocks and Sons has agreed to provide the concrete for the project at no cost.
- Several families have purchased specialize musical playground equipment, which is up and above the original Phase I and Phase II equipment. ( see attachment)
- The old Mt. Ton of Fun Playground has been removed, the site is ready and installation of Phase I and Phase II of the Playground will begin on April 11th.
- The project is very fluid at this point and No date has been set for an opening yet, but the goal is to be open by Memorial Day Weekend if at all possible.
- This project is a great example of the private and public sector working towards a common goal for improving our community.
While Mt. Ton of Fun is closed, please consider visiting the following playgrounds:
* Community Center (rear) at the Municipal Complex;
* J.B. Waters Park in Love Addition;
* McMahan Addition Park at the corner of McMahan Avenue and Railroad Street; and
* Northview Optimist Park on West Dumplin Valley Road.
For additional information, please call the Parks and Recreation Department at 865-453-5441.