City of Sevierville - Logo

Kitchen Grease Fire Safety

Overview: Unattended cooking is one of the leading contributing factors for cooking fires. In addition, grease, fat, or butter is one of the leading items first ignited for all cooking fires.

Out of 709 cooking fires between 2014 and 2016, 24.8% had fat, grease, butter, margarine, or lard as their first item ignited. Over 65% of cooking fires had either grease or oil as the first item ignited. It is important for residents to maintain a watchful eye when cooking, but it is also important to maintain a clean cooking area. Grease, fat, and oil build up around a stove can lead to home fires. The best way to avoid the devastation that grease fires can cause is to prevent them from happening in the first place. Always stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling, and broiling and keep children away from cooking areas by enforcing a “kid-free zone” of three feet around the stove.

Contact Us

Fire Code Enforcement
120 Gary Wade Blvd.
Sevierville, TN 37862
Fax 865.453.5518

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm

Fire Marshal JC Green
Office 865.868.1709