People living in a high-rise apartment or condominium building need to think ahead and be prepared in the event of a fire. It is important to know the fire safety features in your building and work together
with neighbors to help keep the building as fire-safe as possible.
• For the best protection, select a fully sprinkleredbuilding. If your building is not sprinklered, ask the landlord or management to consider installing a sprinkler system.
• Meet with your landlord or building manager to learn about the fire safety features in your building (fire alarms, sprinklers, voice communication procedures, evacuation plans and how to respond to an alarm).
• Know the locations of all available exit stairs from your floor in case the nearest one is blocked by fire or smoke.
• Make sure all exit and stairwell doors are clearly marked, not locked or blocked by security bars and clear of clutter. Report all hazards, such as piled trash, blocked exits, or missing exit lights, to your
• If there is a fire, pull the fire alarm on your way out to notify the fire department and your neighbors.
• If the fire alarm sounds, feel the door before opening and close all doors behind you as you leave. If it is hot, use another way out. If It is cool, leave by the nearest way out.
• If an announcement is made throughout the building, listencarefully and follow directions.
• Use the stairs to get out — never use the elevator
• GO to your outside meeting place and stay there. Call the fire department. If someone is trapped in the building, notify the fire department.
• If you can’t get out of your apartment because of fire, smoke, or a disability,
STUFF wet towels or sheets around the door and vents to keep smoke out.
• CALL the fire department and tell them where you are.
• OPEN a window slightly and wave a bright cloth to signal your location. Be prepared to close the window if it makes the smoke condition worse.
• Fire department evacuation of a high-rise building can take a long time.
Communicate with the fire department to monitorevacuation status.