City of Sevierville - Logo

Get Out, Stay Out

Overview: The safest option for anyone inside a building that is on fire is to get out immediately and call 9-1-1. It is also very important to stay out once you get out. Too many times, responding fire departments in Tennessee have seen injury or death occur because the resident re-entered a building that was on fire, either to attempt to rescue another person or to recover personal items. Between 2012 and 2016, 16 residents in Tennessee died in house fires due to re-entering the structure after escape. 

Read more: Get Out, Stay Out

Smoke Alarms: Change your Clock, Change your Battery/9 volt battery safety

Overview: The State Fire Marshal’s Office wants all Tennesseans to have working smoke alarms in their homes. Through the “Get Alarmed” program, the TSFMO aims to supply local fire departments with 10-year battery smoke alarms to install for members of their community. See supplemental information section for more details.

Read more: Smoke Alarms: Change your...

Kitchen Grease Fire Safety

Overview: Unattended cooking is one of the leading contributing factors for cooking fires. In addition, grease, fat, or butter is one of the leading items first ignited for all cooking fires.

Out of 709 cooking fires between 2014 and 2016, 24.8% had fat, grease, butter, margarine, or lard as their first item ignited. Over 65% of cooking fires had either grease or oil as the first item ignited. It is important for residents to maintain a watchful eye when cooking, but it is also important to maintain a clean cooking area. Grease, fat, and oil build up around a stove can lead to home fires. The best way to avoid the devastation that grease fires can cause is to prevent them from happening in the first place. Always stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling, and broiling and keep children away from cooking areas by enforcing a “kid-free zone” of three feet around the stove.

Fire Safety for Children

Overview: One of the primary causes of residential fire deaths and injuries for children under 10 is playing with a heat source, which includes lighters and matches.

Between 2012 and 2016, 405 fires in which playing with a heat source was a contributing factor were reported by Tennessee fire departments. Fires resulting from playing with a heat source caused 4 civilian deaths, 14 civilian injuries, and $5,436,321 million in property damage in that time.

Read more: Fire Safety for Children

Candle with Care

Overview: Candles may be pretty to look at, but they are a cause of home fires — and home fire deaths.

Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn. Roughly one-third of home candle fires started in the bedroom. Between 2011 and 2016 in Tennessee, candle fires caused an average of 79 structure fires per year, over $2.4 million of property and contents loss per year, and a total of 12 civilian deaths.

Preventing Scalds & Burns

Overview: A scald injury can happen at any age.

Children, older adults, and people with disabilities are especially at risk. Hot liquids from bath water, hot coffee, and even microwaved soup can cause devastating
injuries. Scald burns are the second leading cause of all burn injuries. Most “fire-related injuries” are burns. In fact, approximately every 60 seconds someone in the U.S. sustains a burn injury serious enough to require
treatment.

Read more: Preventing Scalds & Burns

Contact Us

Fire Code Enforcement
120 Gary Wade Blvd.
Sevierville, TN 37862
Fax 865.453.5518

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm

Fire Marshal JC Green
Office 865.868.1709